When you’ve been asked to take on an agile product management role as part of a business agility transformation leveraging the Scaled Agile Framework®, you will need information on two topics: great product management and how the product manager role operates in SAFe®.
As a product manager, you are responsible for rather a lot: the strategy, roadmaps, feature definition, and advocacy for a customer solution or product. Great product management results in the creation and evolution of products that delight your customers!
Because of that, you’ll need to quickly come up to speed on a variety of topics. These short lists provide a great way to get started.
Review these relatively-quick videos and articles for a tactical, practical start:
- Watch SAFe in 5 minutes.
- Read the Product and Solution Management article on the Scaled Agile Framework site.
- Read more about SAFe Program and Solution Backlogs.
- Read this SAFe article on Design Thinking (and more).
- Watch Clayton Christensen talk about jobs to be done (JTBD) and milkshakes.
- Read this SAFe article on Lean Budgets and Investment Horizons.
Then, read these books—as you’re practicing—for deeper knowledge:
- This is Lean, Niklas Modig & Par Ahlstrom
- Escape Velocity, Geoffrey Moore
- Running Lean, Ash Maurya
- Badass: Making Users Awesome, Kathy Sierra
- What Customers Want, Anthony Ulwick
- Value Stream Mapping, Karen Martin and Mike Osterling
We would love to hear from you–what is helping you get started on your product management journey?